Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pad Thai & Sake

I'll be the first to admit I'm a creature of habit when it comes to Thai food. I usually find a restaurant I like and venture no further. Luckily for me though, my roommate took it upon herself to surprise me with a new Thai restaurant...And I will be forever grateful that she did. Thai Chili is officially my new Thai restaurant. for 2010, located in a shopping plaza set back a little from the main road it's easy to miss, but very much worth finding. The interior is unspectacular, a standard restaurant set up with wooden tables and cushioned booths and chairs, however a delightfully unique touch  that didn't go unnoticed were the Thai silk silverware pouches.I started off with the Nam-Sod which I wouldn't suggest unless you thoroughly enjoy ginger, it has an almost overwhelming presence in the dish. I personally like heavily flavored food and nothing could be much stronger then the plain pieces of ginger our Filipino nanny used to make us eat when we had a cold as children, so having passed through the flames of ginger hell I enjoyed  the ginger in all its glory. My roommate however was not a fan. Nam-Sod is pretty basic dish, just minced pork bombarded with chili, lime, and ginger and slivers of onions, with a little lettuce and  topped of with a healthy serving of peanuts and a few radishes slivers for decoration. There is of course some heat from the ginger and chili's but it's not unmanageable even for those with a more sensitive palate. Being that I am now officially 21 years of age I also had to try a cocktail, I ordered the Blue Raspberry Saketini, twice and my roommate ordered it three times. It's that good. I'll leave it at that. For dinner I am ashamed to admit I made no attempt to try something new. I got my usual chicken pad thai, extra  spicy, in my opinion spicy is the only way to it eat but it's still delicious if you're not inclined to a lot of heat in your food.. f you haven't had much experience with Thai food I suggest starting with pad thai, it appeals to most tastes and all the ingredients are easily recognizable if you're a timid or picky eater. It consists of rice noodles, tofu, eggs, green onions, bean sprouts, shrimp or chicken (your preference) with a liberal sprinkling of peanuts. Pad Thai was actually my first experience with Thai food. I had it in Chiang-Mai after a friend bought it from a street vendor. I was a little apprehensive because it came wrapped in a big leaf and I don't usually like tofu but after the first bite I was sold. I also suggest trying the Tom-Yam-Kung, a shrimp soup made with lots of lemongrass and chili. It'll be especially appealing to those who enjoy a sour, spicy combination. And of course you must try Thai Chili's fried ice cream, because what is life without deep fried balls of ice creamy goodness? They present in a rather theatrical manner by bringing it to the table pouring a liquor based sauce over the top and lighting it on fire which melts the whip cream a little and warms  up the cherry.Yum!  The exterior batter covering the ice cream has a nice initial crunch but still remains moist and spongy where it meets the ice cream. It actually reminded me a bit of the batter used for funnel cakes. And when you take your spoon to the outside shell vanilla ice cream gushes out in rivulets and is soaked up by the cake like outside. From there it just melts in your mouth. My only issue with it was I wasn't too fond of the liquor sauce but I can deal as long as they keep setting my ice cream ablaze.
If you would like to see the menu or learn more about the restaurant I have posted the link to their website as well their address and phone number below!


Thai Chili Hours of Operation:

Mon - Thur  11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Fri - Sat      11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday       11:00 am - 10:00 pm

Address:

2169 Briarcliff Road
Briarvista Shopping Center
Atlanta, GA 30329


Phone Number: 404.315.6750    

                                                                                                   

http://www.thaichilicuisine.com/ (website)

http://www.thaichilicuisine.com/ (menu page)

0 comments:

 

Foodaholic: The Journal of a Food Lover | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates